Our HistoryEstablished in 1850
B ack in the far reaches of eternity, before the foundations of the world were created, God planned a glorious destiny for His Church. In His wisdom and mercy, God determined that He would send His Son to redeem His people, and that one day His faithful people would become Christ’s Body here on earth. Our congregation has survived, grown, and flourished only because it has been what God wanted it to be: the Body of Christ.
Trinity saw its inception on May 3, 1850, as a German Lutheran Church, served by “circuit riders” and pastors from Brooklyn. Worship was held in the Frederick Heyne homestead – located on the west side of Newbridge Road midway between Old Country Road and Hempstead Turnpike – and then later in the Union Chapel on Broadway.
In 1864, Rev. A. Weisel became the congregation’s first pastor, and a house of worship was planned, dedicated and built on the south side of West Nicholai Street, where our current school playground lies.
After many short pastorates, Rev. P.G.L. Matschat, having served from 1867-68, returned in 1876 serving until 1919. During those years, the congregation foresaw the need for future expansion, as both Hicksville and Trinity were growing. Land was purchased on the north side of West Nicholai Street, adjacent to the parsonage.
For the first time, an assistant pastor was called to Trinity in 1915. The Rev. W.D. Rusch filled the pressing need for an English service. He later became pastor of Trinity. During his pastorate, in the early 1920′s, two daughter congregations were founded which are still in existence: Trinity Lutheran Church, Glen Cove, and Saint Paul Lutheran Church, Bethpage.
In 1930 the cornerstone was laid for a new stone building, to replace the old wooden church. On November 14, 1931, the final service was held in the old church and the first service in the new church.
The Rev. E.H. Stammel was ordained and installed as Trinity’s assistant pastor in 1942, and became pastor a year later, serving until 1974. During Pastor Stammel’s thirty-one years at Trinity a dynamic ministry in the name of Christ thrived.
A parochial school was started in 1954. Dr. R.H. Engebrecht was the first principal, serving from 1954-65. Mr. W.W. Endorf, his successor, was principal of Trinity School from 1965-92.
During the late 1960′s, the need was felt for an expanded worship facility as the existing building was unable to accommodate the number of worshippers. The renovated church structure, now featuring the spectacular Gates of Paradise doors, was dedicated in 1971.
The years of Rev. Stammel’s pastorate were fruitful ones for the congregation and for the Church-at-large. Trinity was instrumental in the founding of Long Island Lutheran High School and Good Shepherd Lutheran Church, Plainview.
Following Rev. Stammel as pastor of Trinity was Rev. J.H. Krahn, who was called to be pastor and served from 1974 until March, 1988. The years of Pastor Krahn’s leadership featured a strong evangelistic outreach to the community. Again the congregation expanded its facilities, as a multi-use East Wing was dedicated in November, 1986.
In 1986, Rev. Wayne Puls was called to be pastor and served Trinity until 2012. The years of Pastor Puls’ leadership saw Trinity growing once again, as we added a parish center and expanded our nursery/pre-K programs.
In 2008, Rev. Michael Henn was installed as Trinity’s youth pastor and served the congregation in this capacity for 6+ years, growing Trinity’s youth program. He served Trinity as senior pastor from October 2014 until February 2016. During this time, he updated the technology in our church and school and spearheaded the Weldon and Gail Endorf Library project.
From May 2016 through April 2017 , Rev. Charles “Chip” Froehlich served as Trinity’s Interim Senior Pastor along with Rev. Gregory Dwyer as Assisting Pastor. Pastor Froehlich’s time with Trinity served to draw the Trinity family closer together as a congregation and help to strengthen Trinity’s school all in preparation for calling a permanent Senior Pastor. His love for Trinity Lutheran Church and School was evidenced each and every day as he lead and sustained Trinity through this transition period. Pastor Froehlich and his wife Kathy were awarded the Gift of Service Award at Trinity’s 8th Annual Golf Outing and Dinner on June 26, 2017.
On Sunday, May 21, 2017, Reverend John Hopkins was installed as Trinity’s Senior Pastor. He and his wife Donna were led by the Holy Spirit to serve Trinity and relocated to Hicksville from Savannah, Georgia. The Trinity family looks forward to many, many years of fruitful ministry and growth under Pastor Hopkins’ leadership.
The people of Trinity continue to live up to God’s calling to be the Body of Christ. In all we do, we are striving to move forward to His glory, knowing that our past, our present, and our future are all in His hands.
Therefore let us be grateful for receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, and thus let us offer to God acceptable worship, with reverence and awe…Hebrews 12:28
To gather with God’s people in united adoration of the Father is as necessary to the Christian life as prayer.Martin Luther